Monday, May 24, 2010

Book Number Two

"So, do we go in or do we just stand here reenacting The Little Match Girl?" -Rory

The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen

I don't know if you can really call this one a "book," but it is a work of literature, so for easiness' sake I'm putting all works of literature into the same category. Hans Christian Andersen was Danish, and so wrote in his native language. There are many different translations of his works, but the book Twelve Tales I picked up at the library is a collection of several children's stories written by H.C. Andersen which were selected, translated, and illustrated by Erik Blegvad. If this is the book you look up note that the author is listed as Andersen/Blegvad.

This is an incredibly short story... happy reading!

2 comments:

Krystin said...

It's a story I know well and have always had a wound in my heart for.
I remember when mom first read it to us.

Melissa said...

That's funny - I actually don't remember mom reading it to us at all. I'm not sure if I'd ever read it before!