Sunday, April 3, 2011

Book Number 4

Dean: "After school you come out and you sit under that tree there, and you read. Last week it was Madame Bovary, this week it's Moby Dick." Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert Yes, this book is mentioned at the same time as Moby Dick, during the awkward getting-to-know-you scene with Rory and Dean in the pilot episode. I have no expectations for Madame Bovary, which is good I think - since having expectations for Moby Dick made me impatient while reading. I hadn't heard of Madame Bovary before (that I can remember), so I'm coming at this book with a clean slate. Truthfully, I've already started reading, and it's going MUCH quicker than the last book, so if you want to read it with me you better pick it up quickly! I'm already nearing the halfway point! A new friend of mine saw me reading before a class I'm taking and mentioned that she had studied French, and discussed part of Madame Bovary in one of her classes. She said that another student had pointed out the repetition/frequent references to the color blue throughout the book. I hadn't conciously noticed up to that point, but ever since I have seen the color blue mentioned about every other page. I may want comments from those who read it about why this is in my next review post... I haven't figured out the reasoning yet. Who's in on this one?

No comments: