Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Book Number Three

Dean: "So how are you liking Moby Dick?"
Rory: "Oh, it's really good."
Dean: "Yeah?"
Rory: "Yeah, it's my first Melville. I mean, I know it's kind of cliche to pick Moby Dick as your first Melville but... hey, how did you know I was reading Moby Dick?"

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

I must confess this is also my first Melville. I've already started the book, but I can already say that this one is going to take me some time. I started reading it at least a week ago yet I'm only in chapter three. Sad. It seems to be a slow start, and there are a lot of words and phrases that I am unfamiliar with so I end up re-reading paragraphs just to understand what's going on. If I'm not careful my mind starts wandering and I have to re-read an entire page. I REALLY hope it picks up, and soon!

The other day I was on the phone with a friend who loves to read and I mentioned that I had started Moby Dick. She asked, "You're reading that book by choice?" She said she'd only read it if she had to for an assignment. Maybe she had to already. Anyway, even though the book hasn't quite caught my interests yet and has gotten one negative review from a friend I'm still determined to get through it; maybe even enjoy it!

2 comments:

. said...

I've heard there are a bajillion chapters in that book, and Moby Dick doesn't even show up until something like chaper 89. . . is that true??

Melissa said...

My book has CXXXV chapters... or 135. I'll let you know when I finally run across the whale! =)